In addition to the extended tours, Bishop’s Palace will also stay open later on Thursdays for guests to enjoy a more relaxed viewing of the house. Beginning June 7th, hours will extend until 8 p.m. with complimentary beverages provided.
“By offering extended tours along with our regular audio tours and staying open later, we hope to meet the needs of our visitors by giving more access to Bishop’s Palace,” explains Denise Alexander, Chief of Museums and External Relations for Galveston Historical Foundation.
ABOUT THE 1892 BISHOP’S PALACE
Bishop’s Palace, also known as the Walter and Josephine Gresham House, is one of the island’s best known and most popular tourist attractions. Bishop’s Palace is recognized as one of the nation’s most important late 19th century Victorian residences. Nicholas Clayton, Texas’ most accomplished architect of the period, designed the house for the Gresham family. In 1921, Galvestonians raised money to buy the house for the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese to make it the home of Bishop Byrne. GHF purchased the property in 2013 from the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese. The foundation is the third owner of the property and assumed management in 2007. It welcomes over 65,000 local, national and international visitors each year.