It was open from December 1883 through 1886, but for its few years in business, the Galveston Art Academy was the go-to location for Galveston’s arts related needs. In a new gallery talk lecture, Galveston Historical Foundation’s Renee Tallent, Museums Collections Manager, will welcome guests to the 1894 Bishop’s Palace, 1402 Broadway, for a special lunchtime talk on this early island business.
The lecture, limited to 20 RSVP, is sold out.
“It was a local business that sold pictures, artist supplies, window shades and frames to many of Galveston’s elite citizens,” says Renee Tallent, Museums Collections Manager. “In addition, the business owners operated an art school on the second floor and hosted exhibitions of the student’s works for the public in the gallery.”
The talk will last approximately 30 minutes, followed by a brief Q&A and a tour upstairs to view Mrs. Gresham’s paintings. Josephine Gresham, an avid painter, was also the first owner of the property, along with her husband, Walter.
ABOUT BISHOP’S PALACE
Bishop’s Palace, also known as the Walter and Josephine Gresham House, is one of the island’s best known and most popular tourist attractions. Bishop’s Palace is recognized as one of the nation’s most important late 19th century Victorian residences. Nicholas Clayton, Texas’ most accomplished architect of the period, designed the house for the Gresham family. In 1921, Galvestonians raised money to buy the house for the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese to make it the home of Bishop Byrne.
GHF purchased the property in 2013 from the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese. The foundation is the third owner of the property and assumed management in 2007. It welcomes over 65,000 local, national and international visitors each year.