Enjoy a special guided tour of the 1892 Bishop’s Palace, 1402 Broadway, complete with a specialty tea and light snacks. Held on May 19th and June 9th, tours are $30 per person for adults, $18 per person for youth 18 and under. Tours begin at 2 p.m. and end at 3:30 p.m.
The Bishop’s Palace (a.k.a. Gresham House) is a contributing building in the East End Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the national level of significance in the area of architecture. Architectural historians list the Bishop’s Palace (Gresham House) as one of the most significant of Victorian residences in the country.
The house was designed by famed Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton and was built from 1887 to 1892 for Colonel Walter Gresham and his wife Josephine, with whom he had nine children. The interior spaces are grand with exotic materials such as a pair of Sienna marble columns flanking the entrance hall. The first floor rooms have fourteen foot ceilings that are coved and coffered. An octagonal mahogany stairwell is forty feet tall with stained glass on five sides. The stair is lit by a large octagonal skylight. A massive fireplace in the front parlor is made of Santo Domingo mahogany. The house includes abundant stained glass, wood carvings, and decorative plaster ceilings and walls.