OCTOBER 20-21, 2016
ASHTON VILLA, 2328 BROADWAY, GALVESTON
Join us on historic Galveston Island for Living on the Edge: Taking Action, our third annual conference on building and preserving resilient and healthy coastal communities. For 2016, the sessions highlight leaders and organizations who have implemented strategies to confront environmental, social and political challenges facing coastline communities and their cultural resources.
About the Host
Galveston occupies a barrier island in the Gulf of Mexico. In its history, the Galveston community has adapted to the environment through elevating and relocating buildings and through a massive seawall construction and grade-raising project after the deadly Hurricane of 1900. After Hurricane Ike of 2008, Galveston Historical Foundation launched the Center for Coastal Heritage to explore the relationship between history and the coastal environment in communities around the country.
2016 SPEAKERS TO BE ANNOUNCED
TO BE ANNOUNCED
The event will be held at the 1859 Ashton Villa at 2328 Broadway, Galveston, Texas, 77550.
George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): Houston’s largest airport, Bush Intercontinental is located approximately 23 miles north of downtown Houston, near the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8 North). Reach the airport by phone at (281)230-3100.
- Directions from Bush Intercontinental to Galveston (54 Miles): Begin at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on Terminal Rd S and go East for 0.6 miles. Bear left and go Southeast for 300 feet. Turn left on Greens Rd and go East for 2.4 miles. Turn right on Eastex Fwy, US-59, US-59 N and go South for 0.6 miles. Bear left on ramp and go South for 1000 feet. Continue on Eastex Fwy, US-59 and go South for 14 miles. Bear right on ramp at sign reading “I-45 to Galveston / Dallas” and go South for 0.6 miles. Continue on I-45 and go Southeast for 45 miles to Galveston Island.
William P. Hobby Airport (HOU): Houston’s second largest airport, Hobby Airport (HOU) is located approximately seven miles south of downtown Houston, near I-45/Gulf Freeway, the major highway heading from the City to NASA and Galveston Island. Reach the airport by phone at (713)640-3000.
- Directions from Hobby to Galveston (31 Miles): Begin at William P Hobby on Lockheed Ave and go North for 0.2 miles. Turn left on Convair St and go West for 200 feet. Turn right on Telephone Rd, TX-35 and go North for 0.3 miles. Turn right on Airport Blvd and go East for 2.4 miles. Turn right on Gulf Fwy and go Southeast for 0.6 miles. Continue on ramp at sign reading “I-45 S” and go Southeast for 0.3 miles. Continue on I-45 and go Southeast for 35 miles to Galveston Island.
- The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
2300 Ships Mechanic Row, Galveston, TX 77550
- Harbor House Hotel and Marina
Pier 21, Galveston, TX 77550
- Hotel Galvez and Spa, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
2024 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77550
- DoubleTree by Hilton Galveston Beach
1702 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77551
- La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach
1402 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77550
- Four Points by Sheraton Galveston
2300 Seawall Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77550
- Busy Bee: (409)762-8429
- Jeff’s Cabs & Shuttle Service: (409)621-5222
- Tropical Taxi: (409)621-4000
- Yellow Cab Company: (409)763-3333
- Most national taxi companies service Galveston from William P. Hobby Airport and George Bush Intercontinental Airport.
- Car: Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 800.RENT.A.CAR; (409)740-0700
- Golf Cart Rentals: DCP Parking & Golf Cart Rentals, (409)599-4016
THINGS TO DO IN GALVESTON
We hope you’ll consider staying an extra couple of days to have more fun in Galveston. You should consider visiting:
Galveston Historical Foundation
UTMB Center in Environmental Toxicology
Sealy Center for Environmental Health and Medicine
In Partnership By: