The 2017 Sally B. Wallace Preservation Awards, recognize outstanding projects and craftspeople involving the preservation, restoration, and enhancement of Galveston County’s historic buildings and neighborhoods. The annual award ceremony is named after the late Sally B. Wallace, one of the driving forces behind Galveston Island’s preservation movement and a pivotal figure in saving the antebellum Ashton Villa from demolition. Galveston Historical Foundation invites the public to a special tour of their newest location and special awards reception of the 2017 winners at the 1904 GH&H Depot at 3304 Market Street.
The 2017 awards will be held on Saturday, October 14 from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the 1904 GH&H Depot, 3304 Market Street. Enjoy complimentary beer, wine and hors d’oeuvres with your ticket.
“These awards recognize achievements in historic preservation by homeowners, organizations, and businesses. This historic preservation work is inspiriting to us individually and as communities” says Dwayne Jones, Executive Director of Galveston Historical Foundation. “It continues our connection to the past and allows us to retain irreplaceable historic buildings for the future.”
Category/ Rehabilitation (2)
Joan and Melody Oelze
Built c. 1854, addition 1885
Built by German immigrant Ernest Seiling, the one-story portion of this house dates to c.1854 with a two-story addition at the rear of the building added in 1885. Vacant since 1999, Joan and Melody Oelze purchased the property in 2013. Their complete rehabilitation of the property included stabilization of the building’s foundation, repair of the original wood windows, replacement of inappropriate metal windows with period appropriate windows, instillation of period appropriate wood siding, reconstruction of the porch railings (based on historic photos of the property), restoration of the original floors and door hardware, application of a new roof and installation of open-cell insulation and new HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems. Where materials had to be replaced, they sourced period appropriate material through various outlets, including GHF’s Architecture Salvage Warehouse. Galveston’s Landmark Commission approved two changes to the building: the added transom above the northwest windows to create continuity of sightlines on the front of the house and the enclosure of the back staircase that provides access to the second story. The property is currently under review by the City of Galveston as a potential City of Galveston Historic Landmark.
Michael and Ashley Cordray
3608 Avenue O
Michael and Ashley Cordray purchased this property in 2015 and saved it from a demolition due to neglect. John T. Gilbert, an engineer for the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad, built the house in 1913. The architectural style of the late Victorian property exemplifies a transitional period in Galveston as building design shifted to the revival periods of the early 20th century. Throughout their rehabilitation of the property, the Cordrays retained the Victorian charm on the exterior with its asymmetrical design, gabled attic window, diamond glass detail, and turned columns, while they made more modern updates to the interior. The Gilbert house was designated a City of Galveston Historic Landmark in June 2017 due to its association with the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad. Chartered on May 28, 1873 to build a railroad from Galveston to Santa Fe, New Mexico territory, notable Galveston businessmen were involved in its creation and management. Home and Garden Television (HGTV) featured the property’s rehabilitation on their pilot series, “Saving Galveston.”
Category/ New Construction, Infill (2)
Sullivan Land Services (SLS)
Cedars at Carver Park and The Villas on The Strand
2915 Ball and 1524 Strand
Sullivan Land Services (SLS) was founded in 1995 with the goal to uphold integrity in every job, project and action. As the contractor for the first public housing developments to replace those lost in Hurricane Ike, SLS partnered with McCormack Baron Salazar and the Galveston Housing Authority to construct 160 homes at the Cedars at Carver Park (2915 Ball) and 122 homes at Villas on the Strand (1524 Strand). The architectural character and flavor of the new communities reflect the historic charm of Galveston Island. The developments include parks, neighborhood amenities, underground utilities and newly constructed roads. The buildings are environmentally sustainable and have a “raised building” design that increases their resiliency against future hurricanes. The new communities replaced Magnolia Homes and Cedar Terrace, built in 1953 and destroyed by Hurricane Ike’s storm surge in 2008.
Greg Lewis A.I.A, Lewis Design Group (LDG)
Carriage House/ Garage 1839 Samuel May Williams House
3601 Avenue P
Designed by Lewis Design Group (LDG), the new 850 square foot carriage house designed for the 1839 Samuel May Williams is setback from the face of the existing house and located to the far west side of the property . LDG carefully investigated and designed the proportions of the building’s height, windows, roof eaves and dormers to complement the Williams house without competing with the historic residence. Wainscoting around the exterior of the new carriage house anchors the height of the building. They added the grade and a brick foundation sill feature per the recommendation of the Galveston Landmark Commission. The carriage house relates to a new swimming pool which LDG included in their master plan of the site. While striving to compliment the details of the historic house, LDG constructed the building using all new, up-to date, materials that ensure the longevity with minimal maintenance. The building is approximately 850 square feet and includes a generous 2-car garage with second story for future build out as a guest apartment.
Category/ Stewardship (3)
824 22nd Street
1871 Congregation B’nai Israel Temple (Hebrew Benevolent Society)
Designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1967, Temple B’nai Israel is the original house of worship for the Congregation B’nai Israel, who moved to new quarters on Avenue O in 1955. Architect Fred S. Steward designed the first portion of the building in 1871. In 1887, Galveston’s renowned architect Nicholas Clayton expanded the temple and added a new entrance facing 22nd Street. The building’s owner, Nancy Saint-Paul, has been steward of the historic property for the past two decades. In caring for the building, her most recent challenge has been an active colony of Formosa termites that caused damaged to the building from the ground level up to the roof. After exterminating the colony, she corrected their damage by replacement of damaged material and reconstruction of the roof. After completing structural repairs, she installed a buffer wall on the south side of the building to reduce traffic noise from Broadway and added a new landscape design around the property. Her current project is overseeing repairs to the exterior stucco surface, one elevation at a time, finished with a new coat of paint. Her dedicated commitment to the preservation and maintenance of the property ensures its stability for the enjoyment of future generations.
Galveston Arts Center
2127 The Strand
1878 First National Bank Building
Galveston Arts Center (GAC) has been located in the historic 1878 First National Bank building at the corner of 22nd and Strand since 1968. Damage from Hurricane Ike in 2008 forced GAC to move temporarily into a nearby location where they continued normal day to day activities while running a capital campaign to completely rehabilitate and repair the building. Work performed prior to and following Hurricane Ike included stabilization of the foundation, abatement of asbestos pipe insulation and mastic, repainting of exterior finish masonry, replacement of broken bricks, removal of the rusted cast iron sill plate, and removal, recasting, repainting and reinstallation of the façade of cast iron and decorative structural elements as well as instillation of a modified bitumen roof. In addition, they installed energy-efficient windows and doors, and rebuilt or replaced the handrail and side walk. They also added an elevator and handicapped-accessible ramp on the south side of the building, making the entire structure ADA compliant. GAC’s dedicated commitment to the newly reinforced 1878 First National Bank Building secures its place in Galveston’s historic downtown district for centuries to come.
City of Galveston Parks and Recreation Department
1930 Sexton Office, Old City Cemetery
Broadway Cemetery District
The Broadway Cemetery District is a large, urban burial ground composed of seven separate cemeteries that were individually established between 1839 and 1939. Two buildings are extant at the site and served the original purpose of sexton offices and restroom facilities for the Old City Cemetery and Evergreen Cemetery. The one-story, cast-concrete building in the Old City Cemetery features a low slope hipped roof with diamond-shaped asbestos-tiles, tile ridge caps and exposed- wood rafter tails at the roof overhang. The primary door to the receiving vault, at the southeast section of the building, is original and features a pair of wood paneled doors with a four-light transom above. In 2014, the building exhibited significant deterioration. The city solicited bids for the building’s repair and selected Morisset Contracting in Dickinson, Texas for the job. Work included repair of loose roof tiles that were cleaned and scrubbed with a bleach solution. Once repaired, they painted the roof with a green oil base paint to match the roof on the other existing building. They also scraped, caulked, primed and painted the trim around the roof line, while prepping the building to receive a new coat of paint. Lastly, new shutters were built and installed to match existing shutters. The overall result increases the aesthetics and provides a more appealing structure in the highly visible and historic Broadway Cemetery District.
Category/ Green Revival
1899 Samuel and Matilda Levine House
Located in the Silk Stocking Historic District, the 1899 Samuel and Matilda Levine house was fully renovated after being purchased by the current owner, David Bowers, in 1994. Work included new plumbing, wiring, HVAC system, and updated bathrooms and kitchen. In 2016, after receiving permission from Galveston’s Landmark Commission, Bowers installed twelve solar panels along the south elevation of the building’s long southerly roof line. Each solar panel has a micro inverter that converts DC electricity into AC electricity which is transferred to the building’s electrical panel for use. Unused electrical energy is put back on the grid and a credit is noted by the electrical provider. To compliment the efficiency of the solar panels, Bowers also installed two NEST thermostats. In addition, he exchanged all of the incandescent lightbulbs in the house (84 in total) for LED bulbs, further reducing energy costs. Bowers also installed a tankless water heater and a 300 gallon rainwater retention system. By living the mantra, “Recycling and Preservation go Hand in Hand,” Bowers has assured the sustainability of the Levine house by introducing environmentally friendly and cost effective products and technology into the historic residence.
Galveston County projects completed after January 1, 2016 will be considered for the 2017 awards. A project can be nominated either by the property owner or by another individual or group, such as a neighborhood organization, building contractor or architect.
ABOUT SALLY B. WALLACE
The annual award ceremony is named after the late Sally B. Wallace, one of the driving forces behind Galveston Island’s preservation movement. In 1969, Wallace was elected President of GHF and was instrumental in the Foundation’s restoration of Ashton Villa. Among many other achievements, Wallace worked to establish the East End Historic District and was among the early advocates of bringing the ELISSA, now the official “Tall Ship of Texas,” to the city’s waterfront. Wallace also was the founder of Hendley Market, one of the first major businesses opened on the city’s historic Strand as the downtown restoration movement began.
“This historic preservation work is inspiriting to us individually and as communities. It continues our connection to the past and makes us retain irreplaceable historic buildings for the future. We look forward to awarding some of the best projects in our county submitted for these awards,” states Dwayne Jones, Executive Director of Galveston Historical Foundation.
ABOUT THE 1904 GH&H DEPOT
The GH&H Freight Depot was built in 1904. At the time, the railroad was jointly owned by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (commonly known as the “Katy”) and the International & Great Northern Railroad. Both of these railroad systems relied on the GH&H line to deliver goods and people between Houston and Galveston. As the island city recovered from the 1900 Hurricane, the railroad companies sought to fortify Galveston’s role in the cotton trade. Towards that end, the GH&H Depot, billed at the time as one of the “handsomest and most substantial of its kind,” was built with the capacity to handle the entire annual cotton crop of Texas.