GHF and the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) are partnering to find new life for five historic homes as part of a relocation and rehabilitation project. The houses, owned by UTMB, will be gifted to GHF and will be moved to over the coming weeks to new lots.
“GHF is pleased to partner with UTMB to save these historic houses and return them to the community,” explains Dwayne Jones, Chief Executive Officer of Galveston Historical Foundation. “These properties give us an opportunity to experiment with innovative approaches to preserve historic houses on our island and provide new homes for Galvestonians.”
GHF’s Revolving Fund rehabilitation work supports historic residential and commercial properties for stabilization and rehabilitation prior to sale. The new location for two of these houses was strategically chosen due to their proximity to significant cultural resources such as Old Central Cultural Center, Kempner Park, and Garten Verein, as well as its increasing commitment toward neighborhood revitalization. The location for the additional three houses will be announced soon. GHF sees this work as a catalyst for future improvements in the years, and GHF has long term plans to use complimentary programs to continue neighborhood improvements.
ABOUT THE REVOLVING FUND
GHF’s Revolving Fund has a proven track record for historic house stabilization and rehabilitation. GHF’s first revitalization program was initiated in 1972 to focus on the vacant buildings along the Strand business district. Due to its success, GHF extended its efforts in 1983 to include historic residential properties. The improvements of the 1500 block of Church Street and between the 13th and 14th blocks of Avenue M testify to the organization’s achievements. More recently, GHF has worked with the City of Galveston to focus on rehabilitation projects that provide affordable housing to qualified low-moderate income families. Since beginning these revitalization efforts, GHF has stabilized and rehabilitated 35 commercial structures and 40 residences.