fbpx
Galveston Historical Foundation
Drew Kennedy

‘The Invite at St. Joes’ with Drew Kennedy

A new performance concept kicks off this September at the 1859 St. Joseph’s Church with songwriter Drew Kennedy. ‘The Invite at St. Joes’ welcomes an ongoing series of noted songwriters and musicians welcomed through an invitation-only approach. Each show’s artist will personally select and invite the following show’s performer. In addition to being the first to hear who the next artist will be, audience members will have the first opportunity to purchase tickets for that upcoming show.

The debut ‘invite’ will be held on Saturday, September 11 at 7 p.m., this show is open to all ages and tickets are $20 per person. The 1958 St. Joseph’s Church is located at 2202 Avenue K. Complimentary craft beer, wine, and water is included in the ticket price. Tickets are limited to the first 200 sold.

CLICK FOR TICKETS

ABOUT DREW KENNEDY

Kennedy has long since mastered the art of literary lines that evoke sharp images and strong emotions. As he sings, “The sky’s as wide as a smile on a waitress / at a late-night, roadside cafe outside of Pecos” to kick off “Open Road,” West Texas skylines and the people who dot them are inimitably captured. All brimming toe-tapping keys and crisp cymbal crashes, “24 Hours in New York City” traces the exhilaration and possibility of young love, while “House” describes a home’s dismantling to heartbreaking perfection. Moody “Cream and Sugar” and driving “Jackson” are both straight-ahead pop smashes, and Kennedy’s vocals have never sounded better. Walt Wilkins’ gem “Walnut Street” makes for an ideal addition and marks Kennedy’s first-ever inclusion of a cover on one of his albums. Learn more at drewkennedymusic.com.

ABOUT THE 1858 ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH

The oldest German Catholic Church in Texas and the oldest wooden church building in Galveston, St. Joseph’s was built by German immigrants in 1859-60. Bishop John Odin, the first Catholic bishop of Texas, recommended that a church be built for the German-speaking Catholics of the growing city. The church was dedicated in April 1860, to St. Joseph, the patron saint of laborers. It is one of the few pre-Civil War buildings left on Galveston Island.

ABOUT GALVESTON HISTORICAL FOUNDATION

GHF was formed as the Galveston Historical Society in 1871 and merged with a new organization formed in 1954 as a non-profit entity devoted to historic preservation and history in Galveston County. Over the last sixty years, GHF has expanded its mission to encompass community redevelopment, historic preservation advocacy, maritime preservation, coastal resiliency, and stewardship of historic properties. GHF embraces a broader vision of history and architecture that encompasses advancements in environmental and natural sciences and their intersection with historic buildings and coastal life and conceives of history as an engaging story of individual lives and experiences on Galveston Island from the 19th century to the present day.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Newsletter Signup

Sign up below for foundation updates, upcoming events, and more!