CALL FOR ARTISTS | DICKENS INTERSECTIONS
Dickens Intersections is a temporary public art project coinciding with Dickens on The Strand. Galveston Historical Foundation in partnership with Galveston Arts Center invites artists and collaboratives to submit proposals for temporary installations inspired by Dickens and the Victorian-era for display at the main intersections of the event along The Strand. Applicants are invited to submit proposals for existing or new work to be on display during the Dickens events.
For since 1973, Dickens on The Strand has highlighted downtown Galveston’s Victorian-era architecture while providing a one-of-a-kind holiday destination filled with the sights and sounds of Charles Dickens’ work. Held December 3-5, 2021, this year’s event continues that tradition with parades, non-stop entertainment, strolling carolers, roving musicians, bagpipers, jugglers and a host of other entertainers.
- About: Galveston Historical Foundation in partnership with Galveston Arts Center presents Dickens Intersections, a temporary installation of public works during GHF’s Dickens on The Strand in Galveston’s Strand National Historic Landmark District.
- When: December 3-5, 2021
- Where: Strand District – Galveston (Intersections of Strand and 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and 24th Streets)
- How to Enter: The juror panel (TBA) will select proposals through a blind selection process. Selected proposals will receive the stipend to help towards creating their sculpture. Existing works and/or proposals for new work will be considered. All applications must be submitted online below:
The max number of accepted entries will be four.
- Entries for Dickens Intersections are open to individuals as well as collaborative groups. All participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Work must be the artist’s original concept and NOT be modeled after logos, business names, or brands.
- All work must be installed by the artist Friday, December 3 by 5:00 PM and remain on view through Sunday, December 5 at 6:00 PM. The artist is responsible for delivery, installation, and deinstallation of their work.
- Artworks must be mobile (on wheeled platforms) in order to be temporarily moved during scheduled parades on the Strand. Artwork is encouraged to be able to participate in the parade down Strand both days of the festival.
- Artworks must be built to stand on their base in a safe manner in a public setting. Please consider variables such as children and weather (i.e. wind) in your design. While GHF and GAC will make every effort to protect the works from the general public, artists must refrain from including potentially dangerous surfaces or protrusions.
- Artists are encouraged to embrace the Dickens theme of the festival and propose work that is inspired by Dickens and/or the Victorian era.
- There is no cost to enter.
- Height required: 5ft – 8ft tall
- 8ft max height must include the measurement of the base
- Base measurements not to exceed (length/width): 4.5 ft x 4.5 ft
- Four works will be selected by a panel of jurors. Selected artists or collaboratives will be provided a stipend of $1000 to assist with fabrication, transportation, and/or installation of works. Each selected entry will receive 4 VIP passes for the duration of the festival.
- October 15, 2021: Proposal submission DEADLINE
- October 21, 2021: Applicants for accepted proposals will be notified and provided contracts
- October 22, 2021: 75% of stipend will be delivered to artists upon completion of signed contract. Remaining 25% to be distributed upon completion of installation (December 6, 2019).
- November 15, 2021: Artist to provide photo of artwork (in progress), 300dpi for promotional purposes
- Friday, December 3, 2021: Work must be delivered and installation between 10 am and 3 pm.
- December 3-5, 2021: Dickens Intersections Viewing
- Deinstallation: 6-8 pm on Sunday, December 5, 2021
Work samples may include existing or proposed work. For proposed work, please provide a sketch or plan along with representative work samples demonstrating your experience in this medium.
GHF and GAC do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.