Join us for a one of a kind outdoor adventure aboard the 1877 Iron Barque ELISSA!
PLEASE NOTE: This is only for pre-payment for the sail. You will be contacted in early 2021 with available dates and times for your first choice. We are anticipating an April sail window but that will be confirmed after the first of the year. This pre-payment is only for the 2021 year and not applicable for other years.
As a sail training student, participants will experience what life was like as a 19th-century sailor. The program includes both hands-on and lecture learning, focusing on setting sails and maneuvering the 143-year-old ship through the Gulf of Mexico. Come with us on this journey through the past and experience your own piece of history. Please read below for requirements and more information.
Sail Trainees must be:
- Ages 10 and older. Children ages 10-17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- As an SSV, ELISSA is prohibited from carrying passengers for hire. As such, this is not a luxury or sightseeing cruise. Participants must be ambulatory without aids, of average good health, and comfortable with outdoor exposure for up to 6 hours. This ship does not meet the same safety standards or ADA requirements for passenger vessels. Trainees with disabilities must advise prior to the sailing date.
- You will receive short talks explaining various tasks and maneuvers performed by the crew which is comprised of professionals and volunteers. Hands-on participation is voluntary, but participation in lectures and safety drills is mandatory.
What is included:
- 6-hour sail aboard the 1877 Iron Barque ELISSA
- A course of instruction on how to sail a square-rigged ship
- Water and soda
Other important information:
- Due to the historic nature of the ship, ELISSA is non-ADA accessible.
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferrable. All trainees must sign a waiver of release in order to sail.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not allowed on board ELISSA.
- Should weather force cancellation of that day’s sail, we will try to honor your reservation on another day as space permits.
DEPARTURE AND RETURN SCHEDULE: TBD
ATTIRE: Dress comfortably for the weather of the day, with clothing that can be added or taken off as needed. If there is the remotest possibility of rain, bring an appropriate rain jacket (no umbrellas please as many sailors consider them bad luck, and they can be dangerous even in moderate seas). Wear flat, rubber-soled, closed-toed shoes. Hats and sunscreen are always a good idea. So is a refillable water bottle. If you are concerned about motion sickness, check with your physician or pharmacist about medication, and test the effects prior to the day of sail. You must bring your own medication, as we cannot dispense it.
CELL PHONES AND PAGES: Since a ringing cell phone or beeper sounds very similar to some of our electronic alarms, please help us to avoid confusion by placing these devices in the “vibrate” mode.
PARKING: The closest parking is in the lot off Harborside Drive; enter at 21st Street. The cost is $15.00/day; the lot behind Starbucks at 22nd and Harborside is $12.00/day and the parking garage at 21st and Market is $9.00/day. Please allow ample time for parking. ELISSA cannot wait for late attendees.
If the above information does not answer all your questions, please email Mark Scibinico.