Galveston Historical Foundation has created Galveston’s newest downtown urban green space, Hendley Green. GHF began work in 2013 to design a public park that would both accommodate outdoor community activities, while also highlighting the history of the Strand-Mechanic Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. The Park provides immediate public access to approximately 500 permanent residents living in the historic district, 1,700 individuals employed in the historic district, 25,000 residents within a walkable distance, and made accessible to a growing body of tourists to Galveston, TX.
ABOUT GALVESTON HISTORICAL FOUNDATION
GHF was formed as the Galveston Historical Society in 1871 and merged with a new organization formed in 1954 as a non-profit entity devoted to historic preservation and history in Galveston County. Over the last sixty years, GHF has expanded its mission to encompass community redevelopment, historic preservation advocacy, maritime preservation, coastal resiliency and stewardship of historic properties. GHF embraces a broader vision of history and architecture that encompasses advancements in environmental and natural sciences and their intersection with historic buildings and coastal life, and conceives of history as an engaging story of individual lives and experiences on Galveston Island from the 19th century to the present day.