Fortune and glory await one lucky team at the 2017 Dickens on The Strand! The annual Victorian bed race, held Sunday, December 3 at 4:30 p.m. is always a crowd favorite and pits 5-person teams against each other for a footrace down Galveston’s historic streets. Complete rules and regulations are available here. Awards will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams as well as a special crowd favorite award for the best-decorated bed.
- A team consists of 5 members…1 rider and 4 pushers. A rider must remain in the bed at all times. All members of the team must be at least 18 years old. No exceptions.
- The rider must dress in a night cap & nightgown/night shirt. Pushers must dress in costumes. Pushers are encouraged to “decorate” themselves in their chosen theme, which should reflect the festival, holidays or Dickens characters.
- All entries above are to participate in the 2 p.m. Queen’s Parade on Sunday to tout their beds and teams! The teams, and their beds are asked to be at the parade line-up at 25th and Santa Fe Place by 1:30 p.m. to participate in the parade.
- Teams will begin at 21st and Mechanic Street and race westward to the intersection of 22nd and Mechanic. In the intersection, teams will need to come to a complete stop within the marked area, and perform a fire drill, with every team member circling the bed once. Then one of the pushers will need to don the night cap and gown, without assistance, and change places with the previous rider, who becomes a pusher. Once the new rider is on the bed, the team will continue to the finish line at 23rd and Mechanic. The entire distance is approximately 700 linear feet.
- Beds must be decorated, themed after Victorian Christmas, for judging and races, all decorations must be left on the bed, unless determined by the judges that for safety reasons must be removed