Fortune and glory await one lucky team at the 2019 Dickens on The Strand! The annual Victorian bed race, held Sunday, December 8, 2019, at 4:30 p.m. is always a crowd favorite and pits 5-person teams against each other for a footrace down Galveston’s historic streets. Complete rules and regulations are available here. Awards will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams as well as a special crowd favorite award for the best-decorated bed.
- Bed race teams consist of 5 members…1 rider and 4 pushers. A rider must remain in the bed at all times. All members of the team must be at least 18 years old. No exceptions.
- The rider must dress in a nightcap & nightgown/nightshirt. Pushers must dress in costumes. Pushers are encouraged to “decorate” themselves in their chosen theme, which should reflect the festival, holidays or Dickens characters.
- All entries above are to participate in the 2 p.m. Queen’s Parade on Sunday to tout their beds and teams! The teams and their beds are asked to be at the parade line-up at 20th and Strand by 1:30 p.m. to participate in the parade.
- Teams will begin at 21st and Strand Street and race westward to the intersection of 22nd and Strand. In the intersection, teams come to a complete stop within the marked area, and perform a fire drill, with every team member circling the bed once. Then one of the pushers will don the nightcap and gown, without assistance, and change places with the previous rider, who becomes a pusher. Once the new rider is on the bed, the team continues to the finish line at 23rd and Strand. The entire distance is approximately 700 linear feet.
- Beds are to be decorated and themed after Victorian Christmas for judging and races. All decorations must be left on the bed unless judges rule that they need to be removed for safety reasons.
PLEASE NOTE: Tickets are non-refundable. The festival is open rain or shine. GHF is not responsible for independent transactions between visitors and vendors. We are committed to making Dickens on The Strand special needs accessible. If we can assist with arrangements, please contact us at 409-765-7834 in advance of your visit.
Pets and ice chests are not allowed. Scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, skates, Segways and other recreational “wheels” are forbidden. Guests bringing in costume weapons and props must have them secured will be asked to go through additional screening.