Galveston Historical Foundation opens the doors to Galveston’s architectural history through public tours of privately owned homes during its annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour. Large, small, and everything in between, the 2021 tour will have something for everyone! In addition to the tours, the annual event features numerous special events, allowing guests unique experiences in many of the tour homes and historic sites across the island.
- Bondies-Robertson House, Built 1877, Additions and Alterations 1886-1904
This twin-gable house is one of the most prominent buildings in the East End Historic District. Cotton broker George Bondies built the two-story house for use as his residence in 1877. Joseph Robertson bought the house in 1886 and made multiple alterations that included the double gallery and chamfered bay front that dominate the main façade of this two-and-one-half story Victorian Eastlake house. The recent rehabilitation and site improvements make the house an exceptional property in the East End.
- Ronald and Annie Caskie House, Built 1916
2805 Avenue P
Contractor Walter G. Tabb built this five-room bungalow in 1916. Tabb moved to Galveston in 1904 and capitalized on the building boom that occurred after the 1900 Storm. When completed, Tabb sold the bungalow to Ronald and Annie Caskie. Caskie worked for the Galveston Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway as a locomotive fireman. He maintained ownership of the bungalow until 1976.
- John and Cordia Sweeny Tenant House, Built 1914
3125 Avenue O
John and Cordia Sweeny built this two-story house with Colonial Revival features for use as tenant property. Located next door to their residence at 3127 Avenue O (built 1905-1906), Galveston City Directories noted John Sweeny operated the real estate firm Zapp & Sweeny with partner Robert Zapp. The first occupants of the Sweeny’s tenant house were railroad clerks Francis Boyd and Cecil Wheeler. Both men worked for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad and resided there with their families.
- Sealy and Mary Hutchings House, Built 1896
George B. Stowe, Architect
2805 Avenue O
Galveston born architect George B. Stowe designed this suburban residence for banker Sealy Hutchings and his wife, Mary Emily Moody. The massive two-and-one-half story Queen Anne house features Classical Revival details including a prominent wrap-around porch, Tuscan columns, dentil moldings and modillions as well as original interior millwork and hardware. The house encompasses more than half of the block and is located in the Kempner Park Neighborhood directly across the street from Hutching’s childhood home, 2816 Avenue O, built by his parents John and Minnie Hutchings in 1856.
- Dr. Frederick and Adelaide Fisher House, Built 1888/Improved 1894, 1934
3503 Avenue P
Texas pioneers Dr. Frederick K. Fisher and wife, Lucy Adelaide Selkirk, contracted to have this house built in 1888 for use as their residence. The Fisher family maintained ownership of the house until 1939. Located in the Kempner Park Neighborhood, the Fisher house boasts Queen Anne styled features that include a wrap-around porch detailed with an unusual patterned millwork and imbricated shingles. In 1993, the Fisher House was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
- League-Kempner House, Built 1893, 1920
Nicholas J. Clayton, Architect; Additions and Alterations Birdsall Briscoe
1702 Broadway- Rehabilitation in Progress
Real estate investor and self-described “capitalist” John Charles League and his wife Cornelia “Nellie” Ball commissioned Nicholas J. Clayton to design their new residence in 1892. The expansive three-story house with basement covers one of the largest lots on Broadway and includes the principal dwelling, a Clayton designed garage, extensive gardens and greenhouse. After League’s death in 1916, Eliza Kempner, matriarch of the Kempner family, acquired the house that remained in the family until 1972. Houston architect Birdsall Briscoe enclosed the second floor porch of the curved bay and added a garden room at the back of the house in 1920. Purchased in 2021, new owners immediately began work to address decades of deferred maintenance and neglect.
- George and Sarah Prendergast House, Built 1886, Addition 1901
2007 Avenue M
Marine engineer George Prendergast, and wife Sarah, built this substantial two-story Victorian house in 1886 for use as their family residence. After the Great Storm of 1900, Prendergast rebuilt the storm damaged property with additions that included the ornate double-verandah seen today. The house is located in the Lost Bayou Historic District, created in 1994 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
- Charles and Elise Eickholt House, Built 1898
2319 Avenue M
German immigrants Charles and Elise Eickholt built this two-story Victorian Queen Anne house in 1898. While Charles worked for the wholesale grocery firm of Ullmann Lewis & Co., Elise operated a home-based floral business. Located in the Silk Stocking Historic District, historic maps note the Eickholt’s lot also held multiple glass-roofed green houses that supported her successful enterprise.
- William and Edna Crawford House, Built 1913
1408 Avenue N
In 1913, the Galveston Suburban Improvement Company erected three identical speculative houses along the 1400 block of Avenue N. Founded in 1892 to build affordable housing for the working class, early advertisements for the company noted they built “cottages to suit any purchaser.” When completed, longshoreman William Crawford and his wife, Edna Nelson, purchased the four-room house at 1408 Avenue N and resided there until they sold it in 1920.
- Benjamin Dolson Tenant House, Built 1905
Benjamin Dolson, a partner in the maritime firm Suderman & Dolson, built this two-story Southern townhouse with double gallery in 1905. Galveston Historical Foundation moved the house in 2017 to save it from demolition and featured it as the “Rehabilitation in Progress” property during the 2018 Historic Homes Tour. Recently completed, rehabilitation of the house is the latest project of the Residential Revolving Fund established in 1982 as a neighborhood initiative focused on vacant, endangered and underutilized buildings.
Tickets are non-refundable. Masks are required to be worn while inside the private residences. In case of inclement weather, the tour may be discontinued temporarily or for the remainder of the day. Smoking, photos, food, drinks, and pets are not permitted. If we can assist with special needs arrangements, please contact us at 409-765-7834 in advance of your visit.